Monday, February 9, 2009

Update and a Fulfilled Promise

This past weekend had some pretty high highlights. I helped raise $600 (+) for Lifeline Animal Project; I went to my first hockey game; I attended my first law school conference and loved it; I got to travel to DC for free; and, at the aforementioned conference, I was elected Regional Coordinator for Law Students for Reproductive Justice - which means I'm in charge of all the branches from DC to Florida to Texas. It's a big honor and because I was elected, my law school gets to host the conference next year!

Now onto the promise: my Top 100 Film list. The list is complete (after many thoughtful hours of work!) It includes a wider variety of movies than the AFI's list, including foreign films, documentaries, and movies that even I agree have no right to be on any top 100 list anywhere but I love them anyways. I've decided to post the list one at a time in each of my posts on the blog along with a little description of the movie, and at the end, I'll have a comprehensive list of just the movies.. So without further adieu, here's number 100:

100: The Three Muskateers (1993)

What It Is:
The Three Muskateers is the Disney version of the French Dumas novel of the same name. Charlie Sheen, Keifer Sutherland, and Oliver Platt play the three title characters while Chris O'Donnell and Tim Curry supply the main supporting roles of the new guy and the bad guy, respectively. The three, four if you count O'Donnell, discover a plot to assassinate the king of France orchestrated by the king's Cardinal (Curry) and have all sorts of hijinx in their efforts to stop it.

Why I Like It:
I'll admit that this was a hard choice. There were several films that I like for no good reason that could also be here, but I went with The Three Muskateers because I think it's surprising. Even when I watch it now, I like it, and not in a Home Alone type way. Without this film, I don't think the Pirates of the Caribbeans would ever have been made. The acting all around gives life to a movie that could easily have been just awful, and Tim Curry as a villain represents the quintessential bad guy in my mind. Whenever I think evil, Cardinal Richelieu appears. Platt and Sheen as Porthos and Aramis have quite a chemistry and just make me happy.

I Bet You Didn't Know:
1. Charlie Sheen can play a pious, religious man; 2. When one of the characters (I won't tell you which one) commits suicide in this film, it's the first time to ever happen in a Disney film.

Some Memorables:
I'm a sucker for the sword play, though the advances in fight scenes since then dwarf it.

At one point, Platt claims to have a scarf given to him by the Queen of America.

"Athos (Sutherland): Only a fool would try and arrest us twice in one day.
Aramis, Porthos (Sheen, Platt): A fool.
The Same Bad Guy: Are you coming peacefully or do you intend to resist?
Porthos (Platt): Oh don't be so stupid, of course we intend to resist! Just give us a moment, all right?"

No comments:

Post a Comment