Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I Like You, High Five

This is what my family looks like after church the week of St. Patrick's Day:

We used the timer on my camera to take the picture, so we held smiles for ten seconds. That's why we look a little....off, but I still think we are adorable!

So, I haven't really told anyone yet, but I don't plan on going to summer school anymore. I didn't get a job or anything, but I decided to go back to my original plan: Charleston. I talked myself out of it because it felt like the smart thing to do - take summer school, graduate early, etc. But it just didn't sit well with me, call it a gut feeling or maybe God is trying to tell me the right thing to do. I just figured that I'm still young (younger than most of my classmates) and there's no reason to rush through this, especially with the crisis in the legal field occurring right now. If I stayed here, I would be volunteering at a law firm for experience and working full time at a crap job for money PLUS taking classes, basically three different things that would all have to be top priority. In Charleston, I can just volunteer for experience and work for money. Still two things, but minus the stress of law school and addition of the beach and the company of my two best friends (not counting Val - although you should consider coming and spending a summer in the South!) It may not be as ambitious, but I think it will keep me sane.

This Friday and next Friday, I have Oral Arguments. For those of you lay people out there, oral arguments are basically a chance for upperclassmen and RWA professors to make you look like an idiot. We wrote our briefs and now they've read them, and we have to convince them of our arguments while they ask us impossible questions trying to trip us up, posing as "judges." I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.

And now for films, because I'm three days behind on my sleep and can't stay awake much longer.

100. The Three Muskateers
99. Independence Day
98. Kindergarten Cop
97. Hook
96. Beetlejuice
95. Mulan/Aladdin
94. Talladega Nights
93. Back to the Future
92. Tommy Boy
91. Finding Nemo
90. Borat (2006)


What It Is:
Sasha Boren Cohen poses as a Kazhakstani news anchor doing a documentary on American culture in order to better his native country. It's a fantastic mockumentary because a lot of the footage is actually real, sorta combining Christopher Guest with Punk'd. Nothing is safe or sacred, just the way I like it. An imdb comment describes it perfectly: "An appalling masterpiece."

Why I Like It:
To my knowledge, it's the only mockumentary I've seen that wasn't made by Christopher Guest (I've only seen bits and pieces of Drop Dead Gorgeous). Mockumentaries are my favorite genre, so it's exciting to have another masterpiece to add to my list. The more things I see Cohen in, the more I like him (and he's in a long term relationship with Isla Fisher, another one of my favorite funny people). His different characters I've seen him play are all very different, and to the untrained eye, you wouldn't be able to tell the same guy played them all. He combines character acting with slapstick and just makes me happy. He also has an irreverant yet genius attitude about him that I LOVE!

I Bet You Didn't Know:
Luenell, the black prostitute that befriends Borat, is a real actress with appearances in such "classic" films as The Rock and So I Married An Axe Murderer.

Johnny Depp, Steve Martin, and George Clooney all contacted Cohen about having cameos in the film. They are huge Cohen fans, but Cohen refused because he didn't want the celebrities to give his gig away.

Memorable Moments:
The naked wrestling scene. Bloody Brilliant.

"I will look on your treasures, gypsy. Is this understood?"

No comments:

Post a Comment