Thursday, April 30, 2009

Long Overdue

As predicted, my posts became less frequent as exams arrived. I've completed RWA (legal writing), Property (THANK GOD!), and Torts. I have Contracts tomorrow, Civil Procedure Monday and Criminal Law next Thursday. The first half of the month, I got to do some cool stuff, so here are some pictures.

Some of the old and new LSRJ leaders with Sarah Weddington. It was a bad hair day for me.


The next generation of cousins at MORBID JOKE2.


Melissa and I at the Braves game for my 24th Birthday!

Wish me luck on my exams and I'll give you number 85 on my MyAFI Top 100 list!

100. The Three Muskateers
99. Independence Day
98. Kindergarten Cop
97. Hook
96. Beetlejuice
95. Mulan/Aladdin
94. Talledega Nights
93. Back to the Future
92. Tommy Boy
91. Finding Nemo
90. Borat
89. Chicago
88. Zoolander
87. Apollo 13
86. Grease
85. The Thin Red Line (1998)


What It Is:
One of the few (maybe the only) war movie on my list. I normally can't do war movies, but this one is beautiful, poetic, poignant, and everything I love about a good movie. The central story line is about a private fighting in the Pacific during WWII who goes AWOL but then comes back. The unique story telling gets enhanced by the imagery - the beauty of the scenery juxtaposed with the violence of war, etc. etc. Plus, this movie has EVERYBODY in it! It's kinda sad that it came out at the same time as Saving Private Ryan because (although both films are good and moving,) they are just two very different films. The Thin Red Line gets brushed over because of the fame of the D-Day violence scene from Saving Private Ryan.

Why I Like It:
Two reasons: The cast and the quotes. The cast includes John C. Reilly (his third film on my list so far?), George Clooney, Sean Penn, Woody Harrelson, John Caveziel, and Nick Nolte. And that's not including everyone. I'm not a huge poetry fan despite my literary background, but this movie's narration has a definite poetic flair that I love. I would put it more in a creative non-fiction prose catagory, but I just love it!

I Bet You Didn't Know:
The original cut of the film was over 6 hours long, and included in the cut hours were scenes from actors Viggo Mortenson, Billy Bob Thorton, Gary Oldman, and Bill Pullman who appear nowhere else in the film. There was a novel and a 1964 film versions before the 1998 version.

Memorable Moments:
- "If I go first, I'll wait for you there on the other side of the dark waters."
- When Woody Harrelson blows off his own ass, as he puts it.
- "We were a family. How'd it break up and come apart, so that now we're turned against each other? Each standing in the other's light. How'd we lose that good that was given us? Let it slip away. Scattered it, careless. What's keepin' us from reaching out, touching the glory?"

No comments:

Post a Comment