Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Number 78

Not one of my best reviews, but it'll do.

80. Closer
79. Ocean's 11
78. Dogma (1999) [wow, I didn't realize it's ten years old!]
What It Is:
A movie about the fallen Angel of Death (Matt Damon) and his best friend (Ben Affleck) who try to get back into heaven using the loop hole of plenary indulgence offered by Cardinal George Carlin. Chris Rock as an Apostle, Alan Rickman as the voice of God, Selma Hayak as a muse, Jay and Silent Bob as prophets, and Alanis Morrisette as God try to step them from uncreating the universe.

Why I Like It:
It's funny. It's different. Most people don't like religious movies or humor combined with God. Me, I love it. I think God has a sense of humor. And this movie just makes me happy. The main lady isn't great at acting, but the rest of the cast, especially Jason Lee and Alan Rickman. Plus, Kevin Smith has a definite touch in his movies that make them his.

I Bet You Didn't Know:
All angels are identically dressed except for the color of their clothes.
Bartelby and Loki's address in Milwakee is 345 Redemption Blvd. This can be seen on the envelope containing the newspaper clipping in the airport scene.

Memorable Moments:
Matt Damon and Ben Affleck buying a gun. The dialogue of the entire film is awesome, funny and insightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment