Friday, August 28, 2009

Number 81

Some good news today! I had a phone interview for a job, and I got it! It's just a one time thing - I get to be an Antitrust Monitor at an upcoming annual meeting for the Industrial Minerals Association. And one of the people at Top of Mind (David's company) is on maternity leave, so I get to fill in whenever I can there. So, yay! Money! Also, I'm going to win $300 million in a few hours.

90. Borat
89. Chicago
88. Zoolander
87. Apollo 13
86. Grease
85. The Thin Red Line
84. Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red-Light District
83. The Natural
82. The Little Mermaid
81. Meet Me In St. Louis (1944)


What It Is:
It's that musical. Yes, but I love it all the same. Maybe that's why I love it. The Smith family might be moving to New York in 1904 St. Louis. Esther, one of four daughters, falls in love with the new boy next door John, right as the move is announced. Songs are sprinkled everywhere and the costumes are perfect.

Why I Like It:

Judy Garland. Vincente Minnelli. Esther chasing John, John chasing Esther, are we moving to New York? And then, Clang Clang Clang Went the Trolley. This musical feels more modern than many modern musicals.

I Bet You Didn't Know:
Judy Garland recorded "The Trolley Song" in one take.

Memorable Moments:
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (I'm a sucker for Christmas music!)

No comments:

Post a Comment